Saturday, June 22, 2013

Piacenza



This week I had the opportunity of a morning  to explore Piacenza whilst my wife had work to do here.

Piacenza
Piacenza is a typical industrial Emilian city along the Via Emilia, in the Italian Po Valley. It is not famous for its monuments or for anything else really, it is just the last Emilian city before Lombardy.

The first place I came across after  starting my walk was the Basilica di Sant’ Antonio. Inside it is dominated by its massive pillars, whilst outside I enjoyed the peaceful Cloisters.
Basilica di Sant' Antonio, Piacenza

Basilica di Sant' Antonio, Piacenza

Basilica di Sant' Antonio, Piacenza

Basilica di Sant' Antonio, Piacenza

Basilica di Sant' Antonio, Piacenza

Piacenza’s most famous monument is the Palazzo Gothico in the main square built in 1281. The brickwork is impressive. 
Palazzo Gothico, Piacenza

Piazza Duomo, Piacenza

Duomo, Piacenza

Duomo, Piacenza

Duomo, Piacenza
 
I then went towards the River Po, where I came across Palazzo Farnese, the imposing unfinished Ducal palace which gives the illusion of being much  bigger  than it really is.

Palazzo Farnes, Piacenza

Palazzo Farnes, Piacenza
 
What I found most interesting  was the quantity of  often slightly decaying palaces in the city. As in other Italian cities the facades of these big houses often conceal pleasant internal gardens.

Palazzo Scotti di Sarmato, Piacenza

Palazzo Scotti di Sarmato, Piacenza

Palazzo Scotti di Sarmato, Piacenza

Palazzo Scotti di Sarmato, Piacenza

Palazzo Scotti di Sarmato, Piacenza

Piacenza

Piacenza

Piacenza

Piacenza

Piacenza

Piacenza
 In the end I spent a very pleasant morning in Piacenza with its many small architectural treasures. I was quite disappointed when my wife phoned me to tel me that she had finished.

Galleria Oddi, Piacenza

Galleria Oddi, Piacenza

Galleria Oddi, Piacenza


No comments:

Post a Comment