Friday, March 21, 2014

Here and There



Over the last couple of weeks I have been only been  able to fit in some short walks here and there between a heavy workload.

My first walk was to revisit the Balze di Malpasso, near Toano. In this area there are couple of nice waterfalls in amongst the gorges that I wanted to see full of water. It is quite a stiff climb back up from the lower waterfall , but it is worth the effort.

Balze di Malpasso, Toano, RE

Balze di Malpasso, Toano, RE

Balze di Malpasso, Toano, RE

The first Primroses, Balze di Malpasso, Toano, RE
On the way back from a job in Parma, I stopped off at one of my favourite spots in the Pianura Padana.

The Fontalli di Valle Re, a nature reserve with a series of springs and little lakes is always worth a visit.  On the day I visited the reserve was a sea of white blossom. I spent a nice couple of hours in this little paradise.

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia

Fontanili di Valle Rei, Reggio Emilia
Last Sunday I decided to explore an area in the mid Apennines near Ca di Pazzi ( House of the madmen translated from Italian).  I did not have much time but I decided that this area will be worth further exploration. The views  are some of the best in the Mid Apennines. There are few marked footpaths in this area so with the map and Google Earth I will have to invent the itinerary.

Regnano, RE

Regnano, RE

Pulpiano, RE

Pulpiano, RE

Pulpiano, RE

Pulpiano, RE

Pulpiano, RE
After a finishing a work appointment in Quattro Castella  I decided on a long scenic ride back home.
I first stopped off at the suggestive ruins of the Mulino della Piagna, an old mill near Crovara. After a couple of aerial photographs from the bridge, I scrambled down the steep bank down to the mill. There is not much to see but it is a quite suggestive location.

Mulino di Pulpiano, Crovara, RE

Mulino di Pulpiano, Crovara, RE

Mulino di Pulpiano, Crovara, RE

Mulino di Pulpiano, Crovara, RE

Mulino di Pulpiano, Crovara, RE

Mulino di Pulpiano, Crovara, RE
Mulino di Pulpiano, Crovara, RE

I then stopped at the remains of the Castle of Crovara, the headquarters of a late middle ages warlord or more properly  bandit who ruled the roost in this area. Not much remains of the castle but the position on a high rocky outcrop above the Tassobio valley is quite impressive.

Crovara, RE

Crovara, RE
Crovara, RE

Crovara, RE

Crovara, RE
 The road that winds its way across to Castelnovo Monti is one of the most scenic in the mid Apennines.



No comments:

Post a Comment