Thursday, September 3, 2015

Sassi di Roccamalatina



I recently came across a guide book to a place called: Sassi di Roccamalatina. Flicking through the pages it seemed like an interesting place to while away a Sunday afternoon. Especially as it seemed one could climb to the top of a mini mountain without any effort.

180° view of the Sassi di Raccamalatina, Vignola, MO
Sometimes things that go wrong at first turn out for ones advantage in the end.  This was a case in point.

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO
 The park is not too well signposted and I ended up in another part of the park some way away from the place I wanted to visit. This meant a hike, which in turn meant putting on my walking boots.

After a short hike I arrived at the hamlet called  Borgo dei Sassi where one pays €3 to climb the rock.Ominously one has to sign a waiver to release the park from any responsibility before entering. Strange I thought to myself.  

Not the first visitor
Things start easily enough, but then you turn a corner to find a long, well worn staircase carved out of the rock.

Stairway to heaven, Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

A long way down,Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO
Once at the top there is another surprise. One must climb a ladder whose rungs are set into the rock to reach the next level. Thank goodness I had to put on my walking boots and did not come here wearing my town shoes as I had intended!

The Ladder, Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO
More stairs and I finally arrived at the inevitable cross that is to be found on the top of the lots of rocks and mountains in Italy.

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Borgo dei Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO
This particular rock was once a Byzantine fort and there are several caves have been carved out of the rock. The view from the top is splendid even on the misty day I had.

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO
Returning to the car I took the road that runs below the rock to get a good view of the complex. At a certain point the Asphalt ends and one finds oneself on what is called a “White road” in Italy. The road is a gravel track with lots of potholes and stones, but good fun to drive on if you take care.

I soon found myself right below the rocks and could faintly see the cross where I had been before.

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO
Continuing along I was presented with lots of other nice views of the rock.

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO

Sassi di Rocamalatina, Vignola, MO
This Regional Park is a wonderful area of the mid Apennines and I think I will return here again on a clear day in Autumn or Spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment